Before lodging an appeal, it may be worth taking a look at our frequently asked questions below. If you still wish to appeal, please visit our Appeals page.

Questions about the legality of Parking Charge Notices (PCNs)

+Is it legal to issue a Parking Charge Notice (PCN)?

No one likes receiving a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) and any online search will prove that there still remains a lot of confusion around the topic.

If you park your car on Private Land in the UK you are entering into a contract with the Landowner whereby you will use their land to park your vehicle and they will receive something in return, usually a parking tariff. Tariff details together with the sites parking terms and conditions will be displayed on-site. If a car park user fails to comply with the stated terms and conditions and the Landowner or their nominated representative are registered with an appropriate trade organisation such as the Independent Parking Committee (IPC), then they are able to issue a Parking Charge Notice (PCN). Failure to pay the charge can result in further legal action including CCJs and High Court Orders.

+If RPM don’t own the land, how can you issue a Parking Charge Notice (PCN)?

We have obtained a Landowners Agreement to issue PCNs on private land and as members of the Independent Parking Committee (IPC) we are independently and annually audited to ensure that we meet their strictest code of practice which includes a Landowners Authorisation agreement.

+How did you obtain my vehicle registration details?

By having an IPC accreditation, we are allowed to obtain vehicle Keeper details from the DVLA in order to process a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). All information gather by our company is controlled by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and governed by the General Data Protection Rules (GDPR). Please see our Privacy Policy for further information.

Questions about the car park

+I displayed a ticket that someone else had given to me but I still received a parking charge notice. Why?

Tickets are not transferable between vehicles and this is clearly displayed on all warning signs in the car park.

+The parking machine didn’t give me any change so I stayed longer.

The ticket machines do not give change and it is therefore the responsibility of the driver to use the correct money. This is clearly displayed on the Terms and Conditions signage in the car park.

+I didn’t read, see or understand the warning signs.

As members of the Independent Parking Committee (IPC) all of our signs are audited for correctness and their positioning within the car park meets all current regulatory requirements.

Questions about parking charge exemptions

+I was not the driver of the vehicle when the ticket was issued.

You will not have to pay a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) if you were not the driver of the vehicle at the date of the alleged offence. You will however have to provide RPM with the name and address of the person that was driving the vehicle at the date of offence, this can be done by downloading a Driver ID form or returning the Driver ID form that has been sent with the Parking Charge Notice to Keeper Form.

+I left a note on my vehicle explaining why I couldn’t pay.

Notes left in vehicles are not accepted exemptions and failure to display clearly a valid parking ticket will result in a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) being issued.

+I have a blue/disabled badge or Carer’s Permit.

Disabled badges also known as blue badges and Carers Permits are controlled by local authorities and do not apply on private land. This is clearly stated on the car parking signage. For more info please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england#where-can-i-park

+Who is exempt from parking restrictions?

The only people who are exempt from the Terms and Conditions of the car park are fully livered emergency vehicles that are on duty and on-call doctors with a fully livered vehicle with a valid doctor’s permit clearly displayed.

Questions about about paying a Parking Charge Notice (PCN)

+What happens if I just ignore the Parking Charge Notice (PCN)

The charge should be paid by the driver/keeper within 28 days from the date of issue on the Parking Charge Notice (PCN), if after this time the charge remains unpaid and no appeal has been lodged, we will request the keeper details from the DVLA. Once we have the keeper details, we will send a formal demand for payment to the registered keeper. If the formal demand is ignored then the debt will be sent to a debt recovery specialist who will attempt to settle the debt or start county court proceedings against the keeper. The law allows civil debts and their associated costs to be pursued for up to 6 years.

+I think I have a valid appeal, how do I appeal a Parking Charge Notice (PCN)?

The easiest way is to lodge an appeal online through our website using the form on the Appeals page. Alternatively you can send post your appeal to: Responsible Parking Management, Elizabeth House, 13 – 19 Queen Street, Leeds, LS1 2TW. Please ensure that you provide your Parking Charge Notice (PCN) reference and vehicle registration number on all correspondence.

You have 28 days to challenge a PCN and 21 days to challenge a Formal Demand. If you appeal your Parking Charge Notice (PCN) and it is unsuccessful, you will only qualify for the lower rate discount if the appeal was made within 14 days of the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) being issued.

+How and when will I receive the outcome of my appeal?

We will respond to you in writing to the address you have provided to us within 28 days of an appeal being lodged. We will only confirm if your appeal has been successful or not. Please note that if you do not hear from us within 28 days it does not mean that your appeal was successful.

+My appeal was unsuccessful but I am still not prepared to pay the charge?

After an unsuccessful appeal a formal demand for payment will be made and if this is ignored then the debt will be sent to a debt recovery specialist who will attempt to settle the debt or start county court proceedings against the keeper. If following county court proceedings, payment is not made, then we have the right to seek an order from the High Court to enforce the debt often via an authorised bailiff. The above process will incur additional legal and professional charges all of which will be added to the unpaid debt.

+Can I appeal further if my appeal was unsuccessful?

If your appeal has been declined then you be will made aware of how to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service (IAS). All the information required to appeal to the IAS will be enclosed in your appeal response.

+How do I make a complaint?

For full information on how to make a complaint against Responsible Parking Management Ltd, please visit our complaints page.